compiled circa 1915
(Original author unknown)
(See “Sayre ‘s Mill” for reference to 1915)
Ayres Creek: (or Hughes Creek) A small tributary of cohansey. See Mtg Peter Reeve to Burr & Hoskins, Trustees 1791. Bk C P 126.
Baileytown: Locality in the woods in the northerly part of Commercial Twp.
Bay Side: The terminus of the Central R.R. of NJ on the Delaware just below the mouth of Back Creek. probably at or near Dunk’s Beach.
Ben Davis Point: The point of salt marsh projecting into Delaware Bay just above the mouth of Back Creek, Fairfield Twp and the extreme point of Pierpoint Neck.
Blue Bird Tavern: See Tavern
Buck’s Folly: A small pond in Green Swamp, Fairfield Twp on a lot of woodland and swamp owned by smith Dare. So called from an attempt made to drain the pond by one Buck, a former owner.
Burgin Branch: A branch of Stow Creek – 1800 deed Burgin to Ayers Book 2, pg 73.
Bear Branch: A branch of Menantico Creek entering the Creek at Souder’s Mill. 1792 – Book 13 of deeds.
Bear Head Branch: A stream in Maurice River Twp.
Bellevue: Fairfield Twp. At the top of the hill on the road from Bridgeton to Fairton, opposite to where the Country Club now is. George Donaghey calls the place by his name and sold some building lots.
Blue Jeans Gut: The stream that flows from Phamphelia Spring.
Buena Vista: The wharves along the Cohansey below Greenwich where the oyster business is now conducted.
Cabin Branch On Cumberland Tract: – probably a tributary of Tuckahoe River. Deed sharp to wood 1870 Bk 125 p 31.
Cabin Island: In the salt marsh near Back Neck near the head of the west fork of Nathaniels Creek.
Cabin Pond: Fairfield Twp at the head of the northerly branch of Towns Swamp just north of the Buckshutem or Bridgeton Road where it crosses the stream at Arm Bridge”. Mr Elmer calls it “Goose Neck Pond” but I find he is mistaken.
Caesaria Manor: Attempted to be created by will of John Fenwick but never existed. Sheppard p 511.
Caesaria River: A name given to the Cohansey by Fenwick. Sheppard p 511.
Carey’s or Newcomb’s Mill or Pond: The lower pond on cedar Creek, Lawrence Twp in the village of cedarville. Deed Daniel Elmer, Esther ux, to Elijah Thompson, Jan 10, 1792. Not recorded in Elmer papers. See Cedarville Mills.
Cannon Range Avenue: This is a road on the cumberland Tract. About 1895 Edward R. Wood ran out a line from a point on the road from Cumberland to Hunter’s Mill to the north line of the tract and cleared out a portion of the line with the idea that it would be sold to the National government for use as a testing ground for heavy ordnance. It was inspected by the government officials on a hot summer day and the mosquitoes drove the party away before the inspection was concluded. It was never used for the purpose intended and in Mr Wood’s scheme of development became known as cannon Range Avenue. There are now (1916) a few small farms in process of growth along it.
Cape Bogue: The south point of Jacob’s Creek. Division of lands of Davis Sheppard deed 1844.
Cappier’s Creek: Branch of Dividing Creek 1762. Deed Nicholas Crusen to Wm Dallas 1762. Bk 1 P 17.
Captn John Branch: A branch of Parvins Branch, Cohansey – Deerfield Twp 1770 Book 1 of Mtgs.
Carey’s (Newcomb’s) Mill or Pond. The lower pond on cedar Creek, Lawrence Twp, in the village of Cedarville. Deed Daniel Elmer, Esther ux, to Elijah Thompson, Jan 10, 1792. Not recorded in Elmer papers. See Cedarville Mills.
Carlltown: See Columbia Corner.
Carmack’s Mill: See England’s Mill.
Carnell’s Run: Branch of the Cohansey on its easterly side between Stone Bridge Run and Lopers Run and entering the Cohansey at the head of Tumbling Dam Pond. Just across the turnpike in Deerfield it opens over in the “Silly Pond”.
Carot’s Branch: Maurice River. There is mention of both big and little Carots Branch of of little Carot’s Neck in part of sale of property of Wesley Budd in Washington Whig March 6, 1820.
Carrell’s Ferry: In the meadow along Maurice River and above Mauricetown and opposite Brickboro. (See mtg David Compton aux to John Russell 1870 Bk X P 32)
Carson’s Grist Mill: On Clear Run, a tributary of Maurice River in 1795. See Road Book A, p122.
Cartells Delight: Name given to a survey of 200 acres on the Bay shore between Cedar Creek and Pauxtent Creek made April 28, 1694 to John Loatman. Revel Surveys p 112.
Cat-a-mum-gut: A tract of land in what is now known as Bacon’s Neck, Greenwich Twp. Conveyed to John Nichols by two Indians in 1683. See copy of the deed: Sheppard p 511
Cat Swamp: Greenwich Twp. The swamp on Pine Mount Run, above its forks.
Cedar Branch: On the easterly side of Manumuskin Creek on Cumberland Tract. Deed Sharp vs Wood 1870. Bk 125 p 31.
Cedar Grove Mills: On the Cohansey in Deerfield Twp. There is a grist mill and a small village. The place was until recently a post office under the name of Seeley. It was known as Fithian’s Mills in 1748 (misc records p 2) and as James Goulden’s (the same name now corrupted to Golden) in 1752 (p 8). It has also been known as Null’s Mill. The pond which furnishes water power to the Grist Mill is on the main stream of the Cohansey. There was also a saw mill operated by water power from a pond on Indian Town branch of Cohansey. The saw mill pond is known as Hand’s Pond. The saw mill was abandoned long since, and the grist mill ceased to be operated in 1813. It was then owned by a corporation and managed by G. wilbert Moore and James Hannan.
Cedar Point: Lawrence Twp – Modern name for Loggerhead Point.
Centre Grove: A neighborhood in the extreme easterly part of Lawrence Twp on the road from Cedarville to Millville.
Champion’s Mill: In Maurice River Twp on Tarkiln Branch Tuckahoe River in 1810. See Deed Book 16, p 292.
Chance’s Island: A piece of upland in the meadow on the road leading from Leesburg to Heislerville, Maurice River Twp and in the Hickory Swamp Meadow Co in 1880. See Road Book G, pg 106.
Chance’s Landing: On the easterly side of Maurice river 1827. Road Book B, p 215.
Chance’s Mill: see Gandy’s Mill.
Chestnut Branch: A stream in Deerfield Twp 1774. Bk 1 Mtgs p 87.
Chestnut Run: Stow Creek Twp a stream running into Maccinipuck from the west, the farm of Seeleys Mill being just below their junction. The stream from the farm to Stow Creek is known as Newport Creek.
Chickosee Park: Formerly a wooded area along the Cohansey Creek between the Central Railroad Trestle and North St.
Clark’s Branch of Cohansey: A small stream running into Sneathens Mill pond on the Cohansey from the east.
Clear Run: Maurice River Twp a branch of the Muskee Creek on its southerly side, and below Jones Mill.
Cobb’s Landing: Landis Twp on easterly side of Maurice River below Manaway branch and Blackwater.
Coffin Point: On the west side of cohansey in Bridgeton and opposite foot of North St and in Tumbling Dam Park. Elmer p 6. Traditionally an Indian burial place.
Cohansey: The whole region from the source of Cohansey Creek near Friesburg to it’s mouth at Delaware Bay was commonly called up to and even after the Revolution. It was common to write Fairfield in Cohansey or Greewich Cohansey. (Elmer p 28) The name has recently been applied to the crossroads on the “commissioner’s Road” in the extreme northwesterly part of the Hopewell Twp, just south of Friesburg church, where there was a Post office called Cohansey until the RFD route covered the vicinity.
Cohansey Bridge: Early name for Bridgeton and name by which it was selected as the county seat in 1748. Elmer p 23. First called Bridgetown in 1765. Elmer p 28.
Cohansey Corner: Early name for Shiloh
Cohansey Creek: The Indian names seem to have Conanhockink and Sepahacking. Fenwick s name for it was Caesaria River. (sheppard pg 510-11) There is a tradition that cohansick was an Indian chief living on the banks of the stream. It seems to be tradition only.
Cohansey Road: On the map of the return to a survey made July 19, 1774 to Constant Somers for 756 acres (489 of which were covered by former surveys) and lying between south River and Great (now Deep) Run, branches of Egg Harbor river is marked a road running in a generally easterly direction and called “the Cohansey Road”. By another very old map of this survey in my possession this road is shown as being now Buena, and crossing that road about a mile south of Buena. Apparently it was the old road from Egg Harbor to Cohansey and to the Burlington Road. I can find no trace of it 1n this county. One can only conjecture that this ancient highway somewhere met the Old Cape Road and followed that to the Burlington Road, probably by way of Hance’s Bridge or possibly by Souder’s Mill, or it may have crossed the Maurice River at Maull’s Bridge and reached the Burlington Road by the old road that ran from that bridge towards the southeast through the present Rosenhayn neighborhood.
Cohocking: On a map of Mason’s Winchombe Manor survey made about 1770 a road crossing the northwest corner of that tract and apparently running north and south, is marked “Road Cohocking” to Greenwich.
Columbia Corner: On the commissioners Road, being the line and Stow Creek Twp where it is intersected by the road from Jericho to Seeley. The crossroad next above is now called Bowen s Corner, from but about the time of the Revolution the vicinity was known as Carlltown.
Conner’s Spring: Near the Manumuskin in Maurice River Twp. Deed Furness to Neide 1796. B 1 P 32.
Cool Landing: A landing in Buckshutem Creek near it’s mouth in 1802. Book A, p 166.
Cool Spring: A spring in petticoat Branch on Maurice River. See map in Red Book B p 153 – 1818.
Cooper’s Mill: On Panthers branch of Menantico Creek in Landis Twp. Also called Hollinghead Mill. Mentioned in award in Landis vs Wood among Clement Papers in PA Historical society.
Couder’s Landing: A locality on the east side of Maurice River and mentioned as near the beg1nning corner of Scotts Survery of 10,000 A (Lib A1 P 262 Trenton). Quite possibly at the mouth of what is now called Crowder Run.
Cowder Gut: In Maurice River 1777 Mtg of Wm Conner near Dorchester. Bk 1 of Mtgs p 141.
Cox’s Corner: Hopewell Twp where the straight road from Bridgeton to Roadstown is crossed running northerly through Bowentown. called earlier Bowen’s Corner, from David Madison Bowen, an early resident, who lived at the northwest corner. The field at the northeast corner was a place of meeting for the militia on training days.
Cranberrv Gut: In Downe (now Commercial) Twp 1800 deed. Brick to Bearsley Book p 91.
Cubbys Hollow: Island Branch Creek. A small pond west of Fayette St. on a stream south of Bridgeton.
Cumberland: A town plot to be called by this name was early laid out in what is now Bridgeton on the east side of Cohansey and south of Commerce St. It probably only existed on paper. See mortgage by Thomas Thompson 1766 Bk 1 of Mtgs p 9 covering 109 acres.
Cypress Run: In Hopewell Twp 1774. Bk 1 of Mtgs p 85.
Dallas Ferry: Across Maurice River from the farmland at the end of Main St in Port Norris. probably first established by William Dallas who bought land from Nicholas Creeden in 1762. Deed Book 1, p 17.
Danby Field: old farm on the north side of Maple Branch of Town Swamp, Fairfield Twp south of Fairton and Millville Road. Said to have been originally the home of Jonathan Elmer, one of the first of that name.
Dark Pond: On Manaway Branch of Maurice River where it is crossed by the road from Willow Grove to Weymouth.
Davis Ferry: On the Maurice River. See R’s Book, p 72.
Dayton’s Bridge: Name for what is now Centerville or Centerton just over the line in Salem County. 1802 Deed Book 5, p 234. The name is also spelled Dalton.
Deerfield Street: Name first found in 1768. Book 1 of Mtgs p 21.
Defiance Mill: Appears to have been on Canute Branch of Manumuskin Creek in Maurice River. See description of land of Wesley Budd (Cumberland Tract) advertised for sale in Washington Whig, Mar. 6, 1820.
Delmont: see Ewings Neck.
Denns Landing: On Stow Creek 1786. Road Book w, p 66. Probably what is now known as Stow Creek Landing.
Dickinson’s Corner: Stow Creek Twp where West Ave leading from Shiloh intersects the road from Roadstown to Marlboro Seventh Day church via seventh Day Mill, called such from the Dickinson family, who lived on the north east corner in 1860.
Dixon’s Branch: On the cumberland Tract and probably a branch of Tuckahoe River. 1870 deed Shep Wood, Book 125, p 31.
Dixon’s Island: There are two, Upper and Lower, so called in the salt marsh in Back Neck.
Double Door Field: In Fairfield Twp and about half a mile to the northwest of Lummis Mill (the Grist Mill). This tract containing 8 9/10 acres was conveyed by Joeb sheppard et ux to Joseph C Morrison by deed dated Sept 4, 1863. Book C.I.J. p 513.
Down Bed Bridge: In Landis Twp and on the Malaga Road where it crosses Parvins Branch of Maurice River. 1803 deed John Hoskins Jr & ux to Obadiah Downer. Book F, p 269.
Dragston: The present name of the locality in Downe Twp between Dividing Creek and the Commerical Twp line and above the bridge. Probably takes its name from the family of Jester Dragston who appears to have been in that neighborhood in or before 1818. Washington Whig Aug 17, 1818. An old name for the locality was Ragtown.
Dumpling Hill: Fairfield Twp. The line on the road from Fairton to Cedarville about a mile south of Fairfield.
Dunn’s Beach: On the Delaware below the mouth of Stwo Creek at or near Bay Side.
Egg Island: On the bay. It has now entirely disappeared and is also covered by water. In 1785 it contained 60 acres and is described as being “about 8 miles above Maurice River and 8 chains from the shore: Deed Parvin to Tower 1785 Book 1 p. 42
Eldridge’s Ferry: Jesse Eldridge seemed to have had a ferry over Maurice River ln 1811. Rond Book B.p.89
Elder Gut: In Fairfield Township (now Downe Twp) from Ware Creek into Elder Gut on ogdens Creek into Dividing Creek.
Eden Fields: A name used on the map of Winchombs Manor for a locality lying between Adam’s Branch and Eve’s Branch. Now between Beebe Run and Upper Clearing or West Branch.
Errickson’s Mill: On Riggins Ditch in Maurice River Twp. where it is crossed by the road from Leesburg to Delmont. It was there in 1795. Road Book A. p. 128 Dr. Stacy Wilson tells me that there has been no sign of any mill there in his day. The property is now part of the Prison Farm.
England’s Daniel Saw Mill: Judge Elmer places this at Buckshutem and says that it was afterwards-called Carmack’s Mill. P. 73
Elwell’s Mill: Stow Creek Twp. A saw mill on Bishop’s Run, a branch of Stow Creek.
Ewing’s Neck. A point of fast land extending into the salt marsh in Maurice between Riggins Ditch and West Creek. The village and post office on the road from Heislerville to West Creek formerly known as Ewing’s Neck is now called Delmont.
East Point: The point on the east side at the mouth of Maurice River, at the end of Maurice River Neck. There was a light-house here until recently. The place was formerly somewhat of a resort, and a tavern was kept there.
Facemire’s Corner: Early name for Carll’s Corner.
Fancy Hill: Mentioned in Washington Whig of Feb 24, 1817. The reservoir now stands on East Commerce St in Bridgeton.
Feaster Field: There are three Feaster Fields in Maurice River Twp on the Old Cape Road. They are known as the Big Feaster Field, the Little or Henry Feaster Field, and the Benjamin Feaster Field. They represent old farms, long since abandoned and the buildings fallen from decay or burned.
Federal School House: At Port Elizabeth in 1836. Washington Whig Mar 5, 1836.
Butter Cove Fishery on Cohansey at Green Swamp Div. William Dare 1840-Deed Book 68 p 16.
Fork Fishery on Cohansey in Hopewell Twp
Soulard’s Point Fishery in Hopewell Twp On Cohansey near Jan-Val Creek, 1840, Bk 68 p 14.
The Upper Fishery, on Cohansey, near Pamphylia 1840 Bk 68 p 16.
Fithiantown: A neighborhood in Fairfield Twp on the road leading from Fairton to Centre Grove about two miles east of Fairton.
Flax Point: On Stow Creek, in Greenwich Twp.
Flax Point: Landing On Stow Creek. See Washington Whig Dec 15, 1815.
Flying Point: A tract of 300 acres, containing a great part of the village of Cedarville south of Cedar Creek and the Mill pond. Elmer pp 92-93. Deed Isaac Miller to Nathaniel Lawrence, May 26, 1727. Deed Samuel Barnes to Isaac Mills, Mar 28, 1738. Neither deed is recorded. They are among the Elmer papers. The property is part of the Helby survey, which was purchased by Barnes.
Folly Branch: Branch of Dividing Creek just above the village, on which Ladouers Mill was built in 1792. Book A Misc Rec, p 12.
Fordville: A collection of small dwellings situated east of North Pearl St. just north of Bank St. intersection formerly inhabited by members of the Ford Family.
Fork Field: see Frog pond.
Freeman’s Landing: An old landing on the north side of the cohansey, just below Platt’s Landing.
Freemason Street: Bridgeton Early name for Bank Street. Elmer, p 39.
French’s Mill: See Sores Mill
Fresh Creek: Lawrence Twp. The Creek between Jones Island and the mainland.
Friendship Mill: A saw mill on Menantico Creek leased by Henry Van Hook to James (Buckarian) in 1794. Book A Misc Rec p 12.
Friendship Saw Mill: on Menantico 1793. Deed smith to van Hook.
Frog Pond: pond on N Laurel St, Bridgeton which drained into Cohansey through a ravine through the present plant of Cumberland Glass Mfg Co. A field nearby was known as the Fork Field and was, I presume, in the “fork” between the present Laurel St and Avenue, which later was the old road to Carll’s corner. Washington Whig April 25, 1835.
Fuller’s Creek: Now called Rocap’s Run, probably after the Rocap family which has owned the farm on the north side of the run for many years the division line between Bridgeton and Fairfield TwpS and a tributary of the cohansey. Further up the stream there was a pond called “the Rag Mill pond”.
Fury’s Run: (Levi Fury’s Run): The westerly branch of Mourt’s Creek and a dividing line between Greenwich and Hopewell TwpS. Later known as Mike’s Run.
Jehokieville: A Black settlement on Burlington Road at the intersection of Phamphelia Ave.
Johnnie Gettsinoer’s Wharf: A wharf along Cohansey Creek west of the northern end of Grove St. The site of a former glass house.
Goat Hill: An area of which St. Mary’s Cemetery is the probable center.
Glade, The: Name given to the lowlands near Riggins Ditch crossed by road from Heislerville to Delmont (formerly Ewings Neck). The same name is given to a place on Drunken Creek, about a mile below the Beaver Dam.
Goose Creek: A water course on the west side of the Cohansey below 1800 deed Bowen to Nichols Book 2, p 2.
Goose Landing: on Cedar Creek (Lawrence Twp). see Washington Whig January 29, 1816.
Goose Neck Pond: See Cabin Pond.
Goose Pond: A shallow pond draining into Lebanon Swamp on the road from Bridgeton to Rosenhayn and nearer the latter place – long since dried up.
Goshen: Local name for locality in Lawrence Twp about one mile south of Cedarville and west of the road from Cedarville to Newport.
Gravelly Run: Branch of Buckshutem – 1790 in division of Buckshutem. Book A p 216.
Gravely Run: Referred to in a survey made to Nat—1705.NJ Archives Vol 21, p 546.
Great Pond Branch: In Deerfield Twp 1761 Book 1 of Mtgs p 22.
Grubfly Neck: In Downe Twp bushland there advertised for sale in Washington Whig sept 7, 1718.
Haley’s Meeting House: Early name for what is now known as the village of Haleyville, Commercial Twp.
Half Way House: On the farm then (1878) owned by charles Dick on the Bridgeton and Millville Turnpike.
Hall’s Mill: Road from there to Dorchester mentioned in 1811 Road Book p 83.
Hammock Branch: A stream in Maurice River Twp.
Hand’s Mill: A grist mill on a branch of West Creek in Maurice River Twp. once owned by Holme’s Hand. The road from Delmont to Belleplain crosses the dam. Also called Kit Hand’s Mill.
Hance Bridge: An old bridge over the Menantico Creek in Landis Twp.
Hankin’s Pond: Millville
Harris Mill: On the upper part of Cohansey Creek near the Salem co line, in Deerfield Twp, about 2 miles northwest of Deerfield village. The mill pond was made before the Revolution and was owned by the sneathen family for many years and known as Sneathens Mill.
Hay Landing: On Buckshutem Creek, between the Mill Dam and the River Division 1790. Book A, P 216.
Head of Greenwich: The locality around the presbyterian church at Greewich. Here was a Post Office called Othello.
Heislerville: village in Maurice River Neck laid out as such in 1853. Book 9 Misc Records p 10.
Helbey Town: Name of a survey of 7500 made to Joseph Helbey Apr 2, 1694. Revel’s Surveys p 111. This survey covered nearly all of what is now the easterly part of lawrence Twp and a considerable part of the lower portion of Fairfield. The name is now obsolete. Helbey conveyed the survey to Samuel Barnes.
Herring Hole Landing: On Maurice River at Millville. The property, a wharf house and 7 acres 0 land, is advertised for sale by Joseph M’Ilvaine in the washington whig, March 4, 1816 and is said to be between the furnace and the glass works. See also deed Lee to Wood and Smith 1814. Book 25, p 34.
Hickman’s (or Mill) Creek: Tributary of Tuckahoe river, about a mile above Tuckahoe Village, and formerly the boundary between Cape May and Cumberland Counties.
Hoffman’s Mill: In Maurice River but I have not been able to locate it definitely. There appears to have been both a grist mill and a saw mill. See Hand & Hoffman 3 Hal 71. The property belonged to James Hoffman.
Hog Island: In the salt marsh in Sayres Neck. Deed 1800 Jacob Keyser to Jona Westcott in 1768 and on July 14, 1798, was divided among the heirs of Westcott by Eli Elmer, Surveyor.
Hog Island Creek: In sayre’s Neck 1859. Road Book B, p 1809.
Hollingshead’s Mill: see Cooper’s Mill.
Hollow Road: The “old Hollow Road” in Fairfield Twp is an old woods road running up Maple Hollow and around into the Buckshutem Road. It runs close to the Denby Field.
Horse Bone Road: An old road between Rosenhayn and carmel, but running east and west on the portion of the Buck land set off to caroline Buck. See maps Deed Bk 74 P l&c.
Horse Bridge: An old bridge over the Blackwater Branch of the Maurice River, probably four or five miles from its mouth and in Landis Twp near the Gloucester Co line. Deed Eli Elmer to James Jese 1787 Book 12, pIll. what is now known as Main Road from Millville to vineland was long known as the Horse Bridge Road, in deed 1814 Souder to wood (26/30). Horse Bridge is referred to as being 1/2 mile below the Indian Pond. For location see map 1n Road Book 2 233.
Horse Pond Branch: In Deerfield Twp 1761. Book 1 of Mtgs, p22.
Hudson Branch: The southerly fork of Manaway Branch of Maurice River, Landis Twp.
Hughes’ Creek: See Ayars Creek
Hunter’s Mill: A saw mill on Tuckahoe River. The line between Cape May and Cumberland comes close to the westerly end of the mill. The pond was a cranberry bog in 1915. There is another bog, formerly a pond, just above called “Forge Pond”. Evidently the manufacture of iron ore was carried on here.
Hunter’s Road: An old road extending northerly through the upper part of Hopewell Twp and lying to the east of the present “Commissioner’s Road”, and now vacated, 1781. See Rd Bk A p 47.
Indian Fields: A tract of land between Jackson’s run and Indian Fields Run, bounded on the east by the Burlington Road.
Indian Fields Road: Irving Avenue.
Indian Going over: A bridge on the road leading from Dividing Creek to Port Norris, and a corner in the line between Downe and Commercial Twps. The bridge is over Hansey’s Creek, on a branch thereof. “It is not on the present straight road along the trolley, but on the road which runs through Dragston, which is the earlier road”. J. D. Burt
Indian pond: A pond on the Blackwater Branch of Maurice River, above Horse Bridge.
Jack Branch: The southerly branch of Cedar Creek. The name is said to have some connection with a jug of “applejack” concealed in the stream.
Jack Brown: The southerly branch of cedar Creek. The name is said to have some connection with a jug of applejack concealed in the stream.
Jacob’s Branch: on the Cumberland Tract and probably a branch of the Manumuskin in the easterly side. Deed sharp to wood 1870 Bk 125 P 31.
James Gut: See Blue Jim’s Gut.
Jay Field: See Jay Hill.
Jay Hill: The hill on the Bridgeton and Millville Turnpike where the “Middle Switch” now is. Mr Wm Steward says this was called “Jay Fields Hill”, the farm lately known as the Dick Farm, being an old field, mostly on the north side of the pike, known as the Jay Field from the family of that name that once occupied it.
Jeddy’s pond: The small pond north of West Commerce St and in Tumbling Dam Park. So called for Jedediah Davis, a prominent surveyor who laid out the Tumbling Dam and raceway, which latter crosses Muddy Branch and so makes this pond.
Jericho Tavern: There was a famous tavern kept at Jericho on the Cumberland Co side for many years. It was a great resort for sleighing and dancing parties. The house was still standing in 1915. In 1845, this was known as the Milkmaid Inn and kept by Benjamin Ballenger. see Minutes Board of Freeholders for Nov 25, 1845.
Jewell’s Marsh: A tract of banked meadow on the northerly side of cohansey in Hopewell – 1794 Road Book A p 107.
Johnson’s Cottage: A survey in shrewsbury Neck Fairfield Twp to Thomas Smith and William Johnson in1678. 21 NJ Archives p 568.
Johnson’s Mill: In Maurice River, can’t locate it. Deed Richard P. Johnson to Eli Budd 1870. D.F. 308.
Jones Island: The fast land between Cedar Creek and Nantuxent Creek in Lawrence Twp entered from Cedarville.
Jones Mill: An old mill site on Muskee Creek in Maurice River Twp, now deserted but a head of water in the pond. A place of some prominence in the early days and at one time the polling place for the whole towship. there is an old graveyard here with several graves but only one stone inscribed:”In memory of Abraham Jones, Esp. was born in the year of our Lord 1715 and departed this life the 17th day of January 1786.” This was of a considerable prominence in his day and a large land owner.
Jones Neck: Maurice River Township. Early name for what was afterwards known as Ewing’s Neck. 1795 Road Boos A p 123.
Joshua’s Branch: A branch of Buckshutem shown on map of lands of heirs of David Bowen made in 1799.
Kauffmans Pond: Formerly a small pond along Jackson’s run at the crossing of Indian Avenue.
Keen’s Run: I find the name first in 1792 Road Book A p 100. A stream known in 1870 & 80 as the “slash” running out of the northerly end of Elmer’s Mill pond and across Irving Avenue. The small boys had great sport in and around a little pond on this stream just north of Irving Avenue. The property belonged to wm G. Nixon who sold to a company that filled in the hollow and built a culvert to carry the stream and laid the land out in building lots. The stream appears again to the north above Indian Ave, and across the railroad, where there is now a small pond. Keen’s Run probably took it’s name from John Keen, who kept tavern near there on what is now Irving Ave 1754-1775. sheppard p 583.
Keeppe Creek: The same as Keiappe Creek.
Keippe Creek: A small Creek on the north side of Cohansey, probably in the old Holmes Body of Meadow. Name used in 1691. 21 NJ Archives p 462.
Kill Pig Hole: The vicinity now called Rockville in Fairfield Twp. The name was change at a meeting of the inhabitants in 1870. originally the name was that of a branch of Back Creek. See Deed Wm Dare to Thomas Killingsworth, June 17, 1697 for 800 acres. Salem deeds A 6 p 122 office of Sec of State. This seems to be the earliest use of the name which the locality took form the Creek.
King’s Road: See Old Cape Road.
Kingston: An early name for Roadstown. Elmer p 16. See mortgage by Seth Bowen 1774. Bk 1 of Mtgs p 83.
Laurel Hill: Roughly that area between Rose St. and North St. on Laurel and Pearl Streets.
Ladow’s Mill: A saw mill and pond on Foley Branch of Dividing Creek near the village of Dividing Creek near the village of Dividing Creek. The mill appears to have been built about 1792 and with a saw and grist mill were contemplated. See Bk A of Misc Records p 12.
Leamings Mill: An ancient mill site on the Menantico Creek, where it was crossed by the old Cape Road. There was a mill there owned by Wm Rawson who in 1722 had a tavern license. Elmer p 73 – sheppard p 520. About 1790 it was owned by Jacob Browning. In 1915 the pond was under cultivation as a cranberry bog.
Liberty Pole: There seems to have been on still standing at New Englandtown Cross Roads-in 1794. Road Book A p 199 – Ib P 150
Lilly Pond: A small pond in Deerfield Twp on Cornwell’s Run, a branch of Cohansey, along the Deerfield Pike on its easterly side. Just north of the run was a common place for gypsies to camp.
Loggies: A landing place on Cohansey Creek abuot half way between the site of the Old mill and the present dam at Sunset Lake.
Long Branch: A tributary of the Blackwater from the north. See Map of Benj. Thompson’s 400 A of Cedar Swamp made by Ebenezer Miller in 1748. Clement Papers.
Lore’s Mill: on Dividing Creek. owned in 1751 when a road was laid to it from Dividing Creek by Hezekiah Lore. A grist mill for many years. Latterly it has some times been known as French’s Mill. The pond was a cranberry bog in 1915.
Lower Landing Street: An early name for what is now S Laurel St in Bridgeton. 1791 Road B A P 91.
Ludton Road: A small pond east of Fayette St. on a stream on the southern boundary of Bridgeton.
Mattox Landing: Early name of locality of village of Mauricetown, Commercial Twp. Elmer p 7. I find it called Luke Mattox Landing in 1789. Road Book A p 72.
Menantico Saw Mill: See Souder’s Mill.
Middle Branch: Maurice River Twp. The middle one of the many branches of Muskee Creek at its head.
Middle Run: The northerly fork of Nantuxent Creek in Lawrence Twp. Glass sand is worked along its head.
Middle Street: Bridgeton, now known as Pearl St. Elmer p 39
Milkmaid Inn: See Jericho Tavern
Miller’s Bridge: A the head of Cohansey Creek in Deerfield Twp. Washington Whig June 27, 1835
Murder Lane: Runs to the west from the Commissioner’s Road in Stow Creek Twp and leads in to the farm where Zadoe Damrell was killed by Charles T Ogden and Washington Howard, April 28, 1864. The latter were convicted of murder and hanged at Bridgeton, July 20, 1864.
Oak Grove School House: In Millville at the junction of the road from Bridgeton to Buckshutem and Millville to Buckshutem
Ogden’s Mill: On Mill Creek near Fairton, the dam being below the present dam. Elmer p 25. Also see shaws Mill.
Ogden’s Creek: Ware Creek at the head of Ogden’s Creek southeast of Turkey point.
Old Cape Road: For location in part of Maurice River Twp. Also in Book 25 p 525.
Old Farm Landing: In Fairfield Twp on the south side of Cohansey 1787. Deed Dixon to Mints (A 219)
Old Major: John Pierson’s survey of cedar swamp on Maurice River in what is now Commercial Twp 1768 – Book 1 of Mtgs p 18. Below Buckshutem and on or near Strip Run.
Old Mill, The: A location along Cohansey Creek about half way between the site of the Old Mill and the present dam at Sunset Lake.
Old Station, The: The railroad station that formerly stood at the corner of Irving Avenue and Walnut Street.
Othello: See Head of Greenwich.
Otter Gut: On the east side of Maurice River below Silver Run. Leaming 1810. Book 17 of Deed p 27.
Ox Drinking Place: Mentioned in the Buckshutem Division 1790. (A of Deed p 216)
Pamphylia Landing: On the east side of the Cohansey, in Bridgeton, below Blue Jim’s Gut, 1833. Deed Davis Padgett et ux to Smith Bowen. Bk Ad p 155.
Panther Branch: A Branch of Menantico in Landis Twp. on the easterly side of the stream just below Genoa Ave.
Parker Field: Maurice River Twp on Nixon’s Branch of Muskee Creek. vs Reeves, 44 NJ Law, 526.
Parson’s Tavern: See Taverns
Parvin’s Bridge: A bridge over Lebanon Branch of Maurice River in Deerfield Twp. Deed Bk 26 p 115.
Parvin’s Tavern (Silas): Silas Parvin kept a tavern in Bridgeton in a two story high roofed house south of Commerce St and east of Atlantic St as they now are. Sheppard p 582.
Patuxent: Indian name for Delaware Bay. Watsons Annals p 7.
Payday’s Ditch: A ditch leading out of Maurice River, on the easterly side, an near the lower end of Long Reach. Deed Lore to David 1796. Bk 1 P 350.
Pea Landing: On the easterly side of Maurice River, and I believe between Millville and the Menantico Creek. Division lands of Aaron Leaming, 1810. Deed Bk 17 P 219. There appears to have been two landings known respectively as Upper and Lower Pea Landing. Mtg of Charles Waldo 1774. Book 1 Mtgs.
Perkin’s Causeway: A road across the Bear swamp in Downe Twp about a half mile above the Beaver Dam on Oranokee Creek. Deed Dunlap to Lupton 1859.
Peter’s Branch: a branch of the Blackwater – Landis Twp. Deed Eli Elmer, to Jas Jere, 1787 – Bk. 1 p.111.
Peter’s Run: Stream in Downe Twp. 1800. Deed Cullen to Oliver 1800 p. 215. probably below Pt. Norris, now in Commercial Twp.
Petty Coat Run: East side of Maurice River in Southern part City of Millville. Deed Leaming to Drinker 1785 Book 1. p. 6.
Pole Bridge: On a branch of Buckshutem Creek shown on map of lands of heirs of David Bowen made in 1799.
Pine Branch. A branch of Buckshutem shown on map of lands of heirs of David Bowen 1799.
Peterson’s Branch: 1809. See Road book, p 47.
Pine Mount: An elevation covered with pine timber in Greenwich Twp. 1687 Deed John Adam to Samuel Bacon for 100 a. 21 NJ RCJ 587. 1702-3 Survey to Thos. Applegate, this reference is to Pine Mount Maarch, which I have not been able to definitely locate–NJ Arch. 546. Also called Mount Gibbon-Elmer, p 17.
Persimon on Ponds: On gravelly, a branch on the southern side of Buckshutem, 1801 Road Book A. P. 163
Platt’s Landing: On the north side of Cohansey Creek in Lower Hopewell, now the Sora Gun Club property.
Potter’s Pines: Bridgeton. A tract of pine timber at the head of “Blue Jim’s Gut”, bounded by South Ave, South East Ave, Garfield St, and Pamphylia Ave, cut up with building lots and sold only about half.
Rabbit Town Points: Fairfield Twp, on the road that leads across Mile hollow to Five Points.
Ragged Point Creek: (1814) Deed Bk 24 P 612. A tributary of Cohansey in Lower Bacon’s Neck – Also called Ragged Island Gut in Division of Benj. Bacon’s land in 1830.
Rag Mill Pond: See Fuller’s Creek
Ragtown: See Dragston
Rama: A name given to some Seventh Day Adventists neighborhood in Fairfield Twp – about 1912.
Rattlesnake Run: A tributary of Cohansey entering in the village of Fairton. Mile Hollow pond is on sometimes called Rattlesnake Gut.
Rattletrap: A place near cumberland Furnace. Wm Frick and sons of Port Elizabeth killed four bears there on May 7, 1815. Washington Whig May 17, 1825.
Red Bank: On the east side of Maurice River opposite Buckshutem and probably near where the Swede’s Church was located. Buckshutem division.
Reeve’s Landing: On south side of cohansey below Greenwich. Release of Dower of Tamson Lawrence 1806.
Reuben Field: An old field in Maurice River Twp
Robin Hood’s Branch: A stream on the easterly side of Maurice River, which crosses Landis Ave on the outskirts of vineland. 1814 Deed see to Smith 23/34.
Rockville: see Kill pig Hole.
The Rolling Mill Bridge: Washington Street Bridge.
Russell’s Branch: Branch of Cohansey now called Loper’s Run. Washington Whig, April 14, 1835.
Russell’s Neck: In Deerfield Twp between Loper’s Run and Foster’s Run and between the Bridgeton and Deerfield Pike and the cohansey. Ephraim Russell was an early owner of land here. Loper’s Run was formerly called Russell’s Branch. Deed samuel Yapp to Isaac Joslin, Nov 2 1799 and not recorded. See also Division of Thomas Yapp’s land in surrogate’s Office and Sheppard. p 507.
Sarah Run: The branch of Stow Creek which forms the line between Cumberland and Salem Counties above Jericho.
Savory Gosling’s Field: In southerly part of Landis Twp, east of the Malaga Rd. 1832. Deed McCurdy to Madden Bk A F p 370.
Saw Mill Creek: Indian Field’s Run (Bridgeton)
Sayre’s Neck: The fast land between Back Creek and Bower’s Creek (a branch of Cedar Creek) Lawrence Twp.
Sayre’s Cross Roads: An early name for Roadstown
Sayre’s Mill Grist Mill: built by Abraham sayre near the Cohansey, in Bridgeton, to the road to which is now known as North Street. The mill was supplied with power from the Tumbling Dam by a race way along the easterly side of the Creek, easly located at this time (1915) Washington Whig Jan 5, 1819.
Sayre’s old place: A fast landing on Maurice Riyer on the west side and above Muddy Run, within Penn’s 19,000 A. survey. Referred to in deed Ezekiel Foster use to Eli Elmer – not recorded but among Elmer papers.
Scotland Branch: A branch of Maurice River just above the mill pond at Willow Grove on Fork Mills and forming part of the line between Cumberland and Salem Counties.
Seventh Day Mill: Grist Mill in Stow Creek Twp on Branch of Stow Creek. Still in operation in 1915. Has also been known as Nobles Mill and Zenos Davis’ Mill.
Second Branch of Cohansey: See North west Branch of Cohansey.
Seeley’s Branch: Stream on the Cumberland Tract. Deed Sharp to Wood 1870 Bk 125 p 31.
Shaw’s Mill: A grist mill in Downe Twp on Page’s Run about 1 1/2 miles from Newport. It was abandoned and falling into decay in 1910, but a head of water was maintained in the pond. Inscription on a white marble stone over the door: “Henry Shaw’s Mill Built A.D. 1810 by Thomas French, Master Builder.” There was a mill here before this date and as early as 1763 owned by Samuel Ogden, and also a saw mill. The latter was abandoned long since. Sheppard p 659. It was known as Henry Shaw’s Mill in 1863.
Shingle Landing: On the easterly side of Maurice River and an early name for the site of Millville “by the side of Maurice River, a little above the lower shingle Landing and little below the uppermost landing where vessels used to come to load and a little above where Maurice River Bridge now stands.” Deed Leaming ux to Drinker Book 1 p 6.
Ship Yard Landing: On Buckshutem Creek. 1790 Buckshutem Division (Deed Bk A p 216).
Shoe Make Creek: A branch of Back Creek. Deed Isaac Preston to J Ogden, Bk 1 P 128.
Shough’s Corner: on the old Salem Pike where it is crossed by the road on which Buttonwood School House stands.
Shrewsbury Creek: In Shrewsbury Neck, referred to in survey to Hugh Dickman 1678. 21 NJ Archives 545.
Skunk Hollow: On a branch of Town Swamp above Maple Branch, Fairfield Twp on road from Fairton to Millville.
Skunk’s Misery: In Bridgeton, the meadow at the foot of Orange St–now filled in and occupied by the railroad yards.
The Slash: A small pond along Jackson’s Run just north of Orchard Street.
Slab Branch: Maurice River Twp. A branch of Muskee Creek near its head and on its southerly side.
Smith’s Bridge: See Tarkiln Branch and Tarkiln Bridge.
Smith’s Mill: In 1811 Smith’s Mill Dam is mentioned as being on the Gloucester Co line. Road Bk B P 83. I surmise that it may be what was later known as Hunter’s Mill, this being before Atlantic Co was created.
Sneathen’s Mill: The upper most mill on the Cohansey and still occupied as a mill site, a grist mill. Referred to as James Sneathen’s Mill in 1780. Deed Ezekiel Jarman to Nathaniel Leake, Bk 1 P 47. The cumberland and salem Co line crosses the pond. so called in 1768. Book 1 Mtgs p 21. see Harris Mill, a later name.
Soulard’s Point: On the Hopewell side of Cohansey near Tan vat Creek – 1840 map of Fishery Deed Bk
South Branch: Maurice River Twp. A branch of slab Branch of Muskee Creek
Spring Garden Ferry: May 12, 1813 an application of Joe Elkinton rates of ferriage at spring Garden Ferry were fixed as follows: “Four horse wagons and load 37 1/2 cents, 2 horse 25 cents, horse and sulkey, chair bar wagon 19 cents, horse and rider 12 1/2, every adorned horse 6 1/4 cents, every horned creature 6 1/4 cents, foot person 6 1/4 cents, half dozen sheep or calves or less 12 1/2 cents” by the County Board of Freeholders (see minutes of the Board) They were reduced May 9, 1821. on May 8, 1822 rates were raised but not to the old standard.
Steelman’s Mill: Maurice River Twp. In the extreme easterly part on Tuckahoe River on one of its tributaries, now a cranberry bog.
Steep Run: Commercial Twp. A run entering Maurice River on its westerly side and below Buckshutem. Book 1 of Mtgs p 18
Stephen’s Branch: A stream in Maurice River Twp.
Stoe Creek Factory: Name given by John Wood to a woolen mill established by him in building formerly occupied by him as a distillery. Washington Whig for Sep 28, 1818.
Stone Hill Neck: Lawrence Twp. On the south side of Buckshutem near what is known as the Joseph Bailey farm.
Stowe Neck: The name of a farm of 370 acres on Stow Creek owned by Edward Bradway in 1693. (see his will 23 NJ Archives 55) May have been on what is now the Salem Co side of the Creek.
Sugar Hill: Vicinity in village of Cedarville 1800. Deed Jefferies to Buck Bk 2 P 159.
Sweed’s church: On the easterly side of Maurice River. Referred to in the Buckshutem Division 1790 (Book A of Deeds p 216) locating a corner by bearings and therefore standing at that time. Think it was along the bank of the river below Menantico and probably below the Yap Shore. The Red Bank is also mentioned by the same bearing from its corner in the descriptions above referred to.
Tan Vat Creek: On the west side of Cohansey near Soulard’s Point and probably in what is known as the Fork Body of Meadow. See map of a fishery of Wm Dare in 1840. Deed Bk 68 p 14.
Tappen Lane: The road from Bacon’s Neck to Bay Side.
Tarkiln Branch 1. The northerly fork of parvin’s Branch of Maurice River, Landis Twp. 2. The northerly fork of Manaway Branch of Maurice River, Landis Twp. 3. A branch of Tuckahoe River now in cape May Co, formerly in cumerland, over which was a bridge known as Smith’s Bridge probably where it is crossed by the old cape Road. (Div society Tract 1810 Bk 16 of Deeds 9 p 291). Nearby was the Tarkiln Tavern. There was also a mill known as champion’s Mill on this stream. The making of tar in the pine forests seems to have gone out of date sometime before charcoal burning ceased. Henry Reeves tells me that he has only known of one tarkiln in his day, and that was when he was a boy, and was made by a man named Banks near Cumberland.
Tarkiln Bridge: In Maurice River Twp on the old Cape Road. Query: Is the Smith’s Bridge mentioned under Tarkiln Branch? 1797. Deed Jeremiah Smith to Jesse Smith. Bk E P 538.
Tarkiln Pond: This pond also marked “M Steelman’s” is shown on the map of the division of Ichabod Compton’s land in 1838. In Maurice River Twp (now in cape May co). See Tarkiln Branch.
One at Spring Garden Ferry: Kept by John Elkueton in 1815. See Road Book B p. 153. ThiS was on the Maurice River Township side of the Ferry.
William Rawson: had license for a tavernon Menantico in 1722. It was probably at Leaming’s Mill Sheppard p. 520.
East Point: There was a resort and tavern here at the lower end of Maurice River Neck for many years. The house was kept as a licensed tavern, and at one time sheriff Samuel Peacock was the proprietor.
Tarklin Tavern: On Tarklin Branch of Tuckhoe river (now in Cape May co.). probably near where the stream is crossed by the bed Cape Road. In 1799 it was conveyed by Horatio Lloyd to Geo. Burgin. Elmer papers.
Michael Hoshels Tavern: – An old tavern was kept by Michael Hoshel in the upper part of Hopewell Township. philip Vickers Fithian stopped here on his way to virginia in 1773. Apparently the place was 8 miles from Greenwich and 8 miles from Quinton.
A tavern was formerly kept at what was known as the Beaver Dam: now Carmel. The house is still standing, 1915.
Dallas Ferry: At this point now Port Norris John kept tavern in a house that is still standing at the end of Main Street as now used. (Sheppard. p 645). Tradition says that it was a great place on resort for racing horses.
There was a tavern kept on what is now Irving Avenue: Bridgeton, probably about where York St. now is by John Keen 1754 to 1775, Sheppard, p 533.
A tavern was kept on the west side of Maurice River at Millville by Philip Souder, Jr: in 1793, and Benoni Dare in 1796. Sheppard p 633.
Silas Parvin: kept a tavern in Bridgeton in a two story hip roof house south of Commerce St and East of Atlantic St. 1737 as they are now. Sheppard p 582
Hall’s Tavern: near original court house 1756, 1758 burned along with court house.
Potter’s Tavern: site of tavern of Joseph Bishop 1753-1770, Matthew Potter, Jr.
Cotting’s Tavern: 1740-43 near Parvin closer to river.
Tavern corner of Front and Main St Bridgeton, 1807: Deed Elmer, Sheff, to Geo Burgin, Book L p 64.
Franklin Tavern later Hillcrest Hotel: Corner of Front or Franklin St. Seth Bowen, Henry Hann.
Trenchard Tavern: south side of Vine between Atlantic and Fayette 1776, Matthew Potter, Residence of Ebenzer Elmer.
Smith’s Tavern: northwest corner of Laurel and Jefferson 1748.
Jerico Tavern, Milkmaid Tavern: There was a famous tavern kept at Jerico, on the Cumberland Side for many years. It was a great resort for sleighing and dancing parties. The house was still standing in 1915. In 1845, this was known as the Mildmaid inn and kept by Benj. Ballenger. See minutes Board of Freeholders for Nov. 25, 1845.
A Tavern kept at Carll’s Corner: in the house in the easterly angle between the Centerton Road and the road to Vineland.
A Tavern was kept in the house on the Whitaker Farm: on the old Burlington Road where the “State Road” to Deerfield leaves the Burlington Road.
Sign of the Heart: Millville-phila. Road a few miles eastward of Maul’s Bridge (Almond Rd.) Started on Mill Road.
Three Bridges: Greenwich Twp. where the lower road from canton to Greenwich crosses the road from Head of Greenwich to Bacon’s Neck.
Thundergaust Branch of Muddy Run, a stream entering Muddy Run from the south near the present head of parvins’ Mill pond. The stream had its source in Cumberland Co. There was a sawmill on this stream about 1780 said to have been built by a Finn (probably a swede) who came from Delaware with his wife and built a dam on an old beaver dam. The mill is said to have had an overshoot whale.
Thurman’s Branch Branch of Muskee Creek 1800 Deed Brick to Beasley Book 2 p 83.
Tom’s Bridge: In Downes Twp over Dividing Creek on a branch thereof, on which Lore’s Mill is built, on the road from Dragston to Millville.
Town Creek: A branch of cohansey near Greenwich mentioned in will of Jonathan walling, 1719. (23 NJ Arch 488)
Trunnel Branch: Maurice River Twp. A branch of Muskee Creek on the north side entering the Creek at the head of Jones Mill.
Tumbling Dam Park: The site of the old amusement park situated at the southeast corner of Sunset Lake.
Turkey Loper Hill: The hill on Irving Ave. Bridgeton between Laurel and Cohansey Sts. So called from squire Jonathan Loper who lived at the NW corner of Laurel St and Irving Ave. who was known as “Turkey” Loper. Before the railroad yards a the foot were built the hill was a great place for coasting.
Turkey Point: The fast land running down between Dividing Creek and Oranokee Creek in Downes Twp. Find the name as early as 1794 when a road was laid from there to Dividing Creek.
Tussica Run: A branch of Buckshutem Creek 1791 Buckshutem Division (A of Deeds p 216).
Tweed River: The River Tweed was the name given by the early settlers to what is now known as Back Creek in Fairfield Twp apparently Back Creek was the original name given to the stream. Leaming – spicer 2nd edition p 531 1694.
Ware Creek: In Fairfield Township (now Downe Twp) southeast of Turkey point on the west side, large pond or bay at the head of ogden’s Creek, east to Dividing Creek. Boats launched with cordwood from Berry town by means of a “corduroy road”into Elder Gut into Dividing Creek sailing to Philadelphia.
Watering Branch: A branch of West Creek River 1800 Deed Underwood to Peterson.
Well Road: An old road on the Buck land in the Rosenhayn neighborhood, on land set off to the heirs of Mary Buck in 1844. Bk 74 of Deeds
Whelen’s Landing: on south side of cohansey. probably below Greenwich. Release of Dower of Tamson Lawrence 1806.
The Whistling Boy: The site of a beer house at the junction of Rocap Run and South Ave.
White Hall swamp: In Maurice River Twp
White Oak Branch: A branch of Manumuskin Creek, the first above cumberland pond on the west side. Deed sharp to wood 1870 Bk 125 P 31.
Winchombe River: See North West Branch of Cohansey
Woman Branch of Blackwater: Mentioned in ad in Washington Whig July 18, 1819.
Wolf Swamp: On the road from Eli Budd’s Mills (at cumberland) to Browning’s Mill (Leaming’s) Maurice River Twp. Deed Potter — to Burgin —
Woodruff’s Mill: Road from the Loder place to this mill is referred to in the division of the Buck Tract in 1844 – Bk 74 of Deeds.
Wynns pond: Another small pond on Jackson’s Run at the crossing of the Burlington Road.
Yock wock Landing: Uriah Lore of Port Norris says that this was the early name for the landing at Port Norris -afterwards Dallas Ferry.
Zoar: Frank Elmer of Fairton, 84 yrs of age, says that this was the name of the locality at the crossing of the road from Bridgeton to Buckshutem with that from cedarville to Millville. He has a long — about an effort made to locate the Court House here when it was removed from the middle of Broad St.
Ralph w. Emerson list Sept. 2, 1959 added to list.